What makes our members walk through the doors of The Kootenay Co-op … again and again and again?
They see a thriving, natural food co-op, much more impressive than one would expect in a City of 10,000 people.
- The stunning array of certified organic Produce, much of it from local farms.
- The Grocery aisles are packed with organic foods, many bought from ethical, fair-trade companies that care about the environment.
- You can choose from a selection of more than 400 foods from our hygienic, state-of-the-art bulk bins.
- The bulk herb & spice section is legendary.
- The Wellness Department is really a store within a store, offering an extensive selection of vitamins, minerals, natural remedies and beautiful body care items.
- Then there’s the Deli … take-out fare that’s organic, locally made, ready-to-eat and gourmet.
Since 1975, the Co-op has worked with members, customers, service organizations, suppliers, staff and board to create a store we are proud of. In this way, we continue to learn and grow and foster the commitment of our members and the larger community. Fortunately for us all, this is really only the beginning of something truly amazing
- Membership in a Cooperative – a great way to do business. Those who live and work in the community own it. No profit is being sent to shareholders in a remote location. When the money that is generated by a business stays in the community where it operates, it benefits everyone in the community: the Co-op purchases supplies from other local businesses; staff wages are circulated back into the community. Since the people who make the buying decisions for the Co-op actually work in our community and not at some remote head office, it is in our interest to encourage and promote locally made goods.
More about Membership
- Commitment to Customer Service. Fancy a store tour? Our knowledgeable, friendly Customer Service Staff can direct you to the earth-friendly cleaners, help address nutritional needs and suggest new ideas for creative eating based on a whole foods diet. From years of working with the dietary needs of West Kootenay residents, we can show you where all the gluten free products are, introduce you to the fabulous wealth of locally produced foods, or offer you a recipe that can help incorporate tofu into your diet. Classes and workshops are a regular feature at the Co-op, and many events are offered at no charge or a nominal fee.
More about our Customer Service
- The Co-op in the Community. With quality, selection, fair-trade goods and great service, what more could you ask for? What people may not know about is our extensive Community Outreach program. The Kootenay Co-op is dedicated to connecting with our membership in a concerned and meaningful way and to supporting sustainable development in the larger community. To this end the Co-op offers a wide range of opportunities for individual members and non-profit organizations to further their community service as well as their own health & well-being. We provide annual grants, bursaries, endowments, gift certificates, classes, discounts, food donations & platters for special events.
- Sustainable business practices. A sustainable way of life benefits everyone. We believe that shopping is not about finding the greatest number of products at the lowest price but about discovering the intrinsic value in what we buy and voting for a way of life with our purchasing dollars. We work to reduce our impact on non-renewable/limited resources and discourage over-harvesting practices through discontinuing relevant products and lobbying manufacturers. We require full disclosure of materials and processes. We promote socially and environmentally responsible manufacturing practices through our buying decisions.
The Kootenay Co-op has developed into a thriving center for healthy living in this community by adhering to a well-defined Mission Statement and thoughtful mandate based on sound Cooperative Principles. Because of this, the Co-op is well positioned and looking forward to meeting the challenges of the twenty-first century. Welcome to the Kootenay Co-op!