We envision thriving communities with resilient food systems, where all people have access to affordable food that is healthy for our bodies, our communities, and the Earth.
We serve our members and community and strengthen our local food system by providing the highest quality, local, sustainable, and organic products at reasonable prices, in a welcoming environment, with exemplary customer service.
1. We favour local and regional growers, processors, and producers committed to sustainable practices.
2. We source organic products when feasible and available.
3. We provide fair compensation and a meaningful, just work experience for all employees.
4. We promote community dialogue and empowerment through education about food, health, the environment and social justice.
5. We are committed to philanthropy, and we support local organizations that enrich our community.
6. We strive to balance equally social justice, environmental stewardship and financial responsibility.
The Kootenay Co-op Board of Directors approved the Vision, Mission, and Values in September 2017 after consultation with members and staff.
Principles and values of co-operatives
As a co-operative, the Kootenay Co-op also subscribes the values of co-operation, self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity and solidarity. In the tradition of their founders, co-operative members believe in the ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others. In addition, cooperatives all over the world are based on a core set of common principles, described here.
Rules of Association
All cooperatives in British Columbia are regulated by the Cooperative Association Act, and by their own bylaws (called Rules of Association). You can read our Kootenay Country Store Cooperative Rules of Association (PDF).