For the sushi rice:
- 1 cup washed Sushi rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tbsp. Mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the sushi rolls:
- 1 pkg of toasted sushi Nori sheets
- 10 thin strips of carrot
- 10 slices of English cucumber, julienned
- 1 sliced avocado
- ½ pkg of firm tofu, sautéed and julienned
- 1 bunch minced gr. onions
- 1 red pepper, sliced
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- Cook rice in water.
- Turn into a bowl and add the mirin, raw sugar and salt while fanning the rice to cool quickly—all the while you must turn and mix the rice carefully as not to mash it.
- Cover with a damp towel, will keep 3-4 hours, do not chill!
- Lay all these vegetables onto 2 plates and drizzle with the sauce.
Instructions for assembly:
- Lay out the nori on a sushi mat, cover with rice leaving 1/2 ” around the edges.
- Lay on an assortment of vegetable slices.
- Carefully roll the sushi firmly.
- cut into 1 ” pieces with a sharp knife and lay onto a pretty plate. You may also want to have some pickled ginger and some wasabi paste on hand for dipping.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce (click here) or sesame ginger dip (click here) (click for recipes).
If you don’t have mirin you can use white wine, vermouth, or dry sherry to replace. Simply add 1 to2 tablespoons of sugar to 1/2 cup of alcohol.You can also cook the sweetened alcohol to evaporate most of it.
Recipe By Maggie Jones