Wheat Berry Salad
- 1 cup wheat berries (wheat berries are the whole kernel of wheat)
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Apple Cider vinegar
- ½ tsp basil, oregano and dill
- Pinch mint leaves
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- tsp minced fresh garlic
- ½ tsp salt
For the veggies
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 stalks finely minced celery
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pick and clean the wheat berries.
- Boil in ample water until soft, about 45 minutes. Cook until soft and chewy but not mushy or pasty.
- Combine and set aside the dressing ingredients.
- Cool the cooked wheat berries and add the veggies.
- Add the dressing and toss, serve or chill until needed.
You can use any kind of Wheat Kernel, whole wheat, (soft or hard), spelt or Kamut. Each has its own unique flavour and texture but all are fine!
You can soak your berries overnight for a plumper, softer kernel. You can also cook more than you need and freeze them for use later.
Cooked Wheat Berries can be used in place of rice in casseroles, cabbage rolls, stuffed squash etc., and can be eaten with Milk or Soymilk and dried fruit for breakfast.
Recipe by Maggie Jones