https://www.kootenay.coop/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/baklava-iStock-e1610659528228.jpg 1129 1129 Ryan B https://www.kootenay.coop/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/logo_20.jpg Ryan B2014-03-13 01:52:142021-01-14 17:15:52Baklava
- 1 pkg. of filo pastry and about 1 cup of melted butter set aside.
For the filling
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pistachios
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
For the syrup
- ½ cup honey
- 3/4 cup water
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp rose water (food grade)
- Combine Filling ingredients in a food processor.
- Boil the syrup until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon, remove from heat and set aside.
- Layer 1/2 of the filo into a 9 by 13 baking tray with melted butter between every 2nd sheet. Use about ½ the butter.
- Then sprinkle in the nut mixture.
- Finish by layering the filo in the same way as before, ending with a light coating of butter.
- Cut the baklava into diamonds, squares or triangles before baking, bake at 350° F for about 20 min. or until the filo is golden.
- Pour the syrup over the treat and cool before cutting into pieces.
Credit: Maggie Jones – Kootenay Co-op Cooking School