- 2 bananas
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour (spelt or unbleached white)
- 1-2 Tbsp unrefined sugar or sucanat
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¾ tsp baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp melted Butter
Enjoy making this recipe as an introduction to cooking & learning with kids.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into very thin slices.
- Put them aside in a small bowl.
- Measure the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar into another bowl.
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- Whisk the egg & buttermilk together.
- Heat a cast iron skillet with a small amount of butter.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones and the melted butter.
- Mix with a few quick strokes until ingredients are moist. Don’t worry about a few lumps.
- Ladle a 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet for each pancake.
- When many small bubbles appear and pop, place some banana slices on top and flip the pancake.
- Cook briefly on the other side until the centre feels firm and springy.
- Serve with maple syrup and/or additional banana slices, stewed or fresh fruit and yogurt.
– Kootenay Co-op Kitchen