Makes six servings.
- 1 small pumpkin (just under 1kg)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley*
- 1½ cups water
- 1 veggie broth (bouillon) cube
*This recipe can also be made with spelt kernels, soft winter wheat, short grain brown rice, or a combination. Choose whatever is on sale in bulk.
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash the pumpkin and trim the ends. Cut in half, remove the seeds and cut ½-inch slices. Now cut the slices into cubes and place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Drizzle the olive oil on the pumpkin cubes and bake for 20 minutes or until the cubes are soft but still have a little bit of a crunch. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Combine all of the grains and rinse under cold water. Place the grains in a medium sauce pan, add the water and bring to a boil on high heat. Add the bouillon cube. Cover with lid and turn heat to low. Let simmer for 35 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. While the grains are simmering away on the stove, make the dressing. Combine all of the ingredients in a container, shake well and once the grains are done cooking, add half of the dressing to the pot. Once the pumpkin and grains have cooled, mix them in a bowl and add the remaining dressing.
– Myriam Zbinden-LaPlante, Cooking Class Assistant