- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200 g) cane sugar
- 1/2c (120ml) olive oil
- 1/2c (120ml) coconut oil
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 slices (50 g) dried bread*, crumbled
- the grated zest of 1 organic orange (keep for the juice)
- the grated zest of 1 organic lemon (keep for the juice)
For the syrup
- 1/3c (75 g) cane sugar
- 1/3c freshly pressed mandarin juice**
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 mandarins
- Preheat oven at 350°F (180°C)
- Mix together in a blender the eggs and sugar for approximately 5 minutes until you get a nice foamy texture.
- Add olive & coconut oils. Mix in.
- Add almond flour, baking powder and crumbled bread. Then mix in the thinly grated zests.
Pour into a round cake pan (oiled or lined with parchment paper)
- Bake for 40 minutes
- During this time prepare the syrup:
Simmer in a pot on low heat, the juice and sugar for about 5 minutes or until it thicken just a little bit.
- Take the cake out of the oven, put it on a plate and pour the syrup on it.
You can decorate the cake with slices of mandarin on each serving portion.
*You can totally make this cake gluten free (like I did) by using…gluten free bread!!
**Depending on the size of your mandarin, you might need between 1 to 4 mandarins
This cake is delicious served warm with a dollop of creamy Greek style yogurt.