Our Board of Directors
Our board is six member-elected directors and one employee-elected director, and together they guide the long-term direction of our business on behalf of our member-owners.
Joining our board means working with a group of people committed to strengthening our local community and creating a more resilient local food system
Serving as our Co-op’s Board President during these challenging times has been a special privilege. I’m beyond proud of how our staff, management and board have risen to meet this moment, keeping our community fed, our finances impeccable, and our sights on better days ahead.
Director Roles + Benefits
How Directors Contribute to our Co-op
Directors attend monthly board meetings and participate in two board committees so that, as a whole, the board fulfils its duties to:
- Set long-range goals and plan for the Co-op’s future
- Ensure sound management of the Co-op’s human and financial resources
- Ensure responsible and professional performance
- Act as trustees on behalf of our Co-op’s members
- Hire and oversee the General Manager, who is responsible for managing all operational matters, including store policies, staff hiring, maintaining the facilities, marketing and communications
Are you a good fit for our board? Is our board a good fit for you?
Our board welcomes those with diverse backgrounds, skills and experience. All members with excellent communication and collaborative decision-making skills may nominate themselves to stand for election. Our board seeks nominees with any of the following:
- Experience in retail, or wholesale grocery business, natural foods and nutrition, organic food production.
- A background in business law, finance/accounting, marketing, human resources, real estate/property management, operational logistics.
- Previous experience on a board of directors.
- The ability to read and comprehend financial statements.
- A deep understanding of cooperatives and the international cooperative principles.
Benefits of Being on Our Board
- Make a difference in our community by helping strengthen our local food system.
- Develop professional skills in leadership, teamwork and management.
- Build professional and personal relationships.
- Have access to training opportunities offered by our Co-op and its affiliates.
- Receive monthly honorarium in-store credit and a store discount.
Please read the following candidate requirements before filling out our nomination form.
This year we have three of our seven seats up for election [2023 content]
All candidates must:
- Formally declare willingness to stand for election by submitting the nomination form between April 12 and June 12, 2023
- Attend at least one regular board meeting between now and the AGM in September. Please contact the board if you’d like to attend a board meeting prior to nominating yourself
- Attend an informal interview with the Nominations Committee and the General Manager
Election Timeline & Process
- April: Call for Nominations
- June 12: Last day to submit a nomination
- July 15: Eligibility is confirmed with each nominee and candidates may be asked for additional information to share with the members.
- August 16 to September 16: Election period
- End of September: Annual General Meeting