What is a co-op?
Co-op is shorthand for a co-operative. A co-operative is a private business organization that is owned and controlled by the people who use its products, supplies or services.
Although co-operatives vary in type and membership size, all are formed to meet the specific objectives of members and are structured to adapt to member’s changing needs. It is a versatile business model that can operate in every sector of the economy and offer virtually any product or service.
During the Industrial Revolution, the co-operative form of business organization was born to promote the interests of the less powerful members of society. Farmers, producers, workers, and consumers found that they could accomplish more collectively than they could individually.
Like many co-operatives, we are a community–focused, democratic business that balances financial and environmental sustainability.
We serve our members and community and strengthen our local food system by providing the highest quality, local, sustainable, and organic products at reasonable prices, in a welcoming environment, with exemplary customer service.
We envision thriving communities with resilient food systems, where all people have access to affordable food that is healthy for our bodies, our communities, and the Earth.
- We favour local and regional growers, processors, and producers who are committed to sustainable practices.
- We source organic products when feasible and available.
- We provide fair compensation and a meaningful, just work experience for all employees.
- We promote community dialogue and empowerment through education about food, health, the environment and social justice.
- We are committed to philanthropy, and we support local organizations that enrich our community.
- We strive to equally balance social justice, environmental stewardship and financial responsibility.
Our Buying Guidelines
We’re committed to organic food, learn more in our Product Buying Guidelines.
Become a Member
It’s easy to join! Become a member and enjoy member-only sales prices and more.
Board of Directors
Meet our board of directors and learn more about the role they play in our Co-op.