DYI snacks: Quick + Easy Protein Bites
Snacks get us through the day, power our adventures, and keeps the kiddos happy in the car. The trick is to make sure our snacks are as nutritionally dense as they are delicious.
Enter the mighty protein bite, packed with enough protein + healthy fats to satisfy your hunger and sweet tooth! Quick + easy, making them perfect for lunch kits, car rides, mountain adventures, or with a cup of tea on a Sunday.
Pro tip: Don’t like the ball shape? press the mixture flat on a baking sheet, cool in the fridge, cut into bars and store!
Prep Time: 15 min | Yield: 20 protein bites
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup protein powder (approx. 2 scoops)
- ⅓ cup flaxseed meal (optional)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup smooth nut butter (make sure it’s stirred well – it’s worth it!)
- 3 tbsp sweetener (raw honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, etc.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, etc.) or mini chocolate chips
- 2-4 tbsp liquid (milk, alt milk, or water)
- ¼ cup unsweetened medium shred coconut (optional)
- Add oats, protein powder, flax meal, cinnamon + chia seeds in a large bowl and stir to combine
- Add in nut butter, sweetener + vanilla, stir to combine
- Fold in dried fruit or chocolate chips
- Add 2 tbsp liquid and mix in with your hands until it comes together in a ball that holds together. If mixture is too dry and crumbly add another tbsp of liquid. Just take the liquids slow so that it doesn’t become too soft and won’t hold shape
- Roll into balls
- Roll balls in coconut if using
- Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months